Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blog Response Due 11/17

The essay I chose to read from the College Composition book was Qing Ji's "Different Attitudes to Using Pencils."  It was very interesting to read that something as trivial as using pencils can symbolize vast cultural differences between the Chinese and the Americans.  In China, the use of pens and their tendency to not use pencils points out that the Chinese live a rule-driven life and tend to unify their beliefs.  In America, however, people use pencils and do not have strict rules on what or what not to use in school.  This shows that America embraces the individual, while China focuses on unity and following the status quo.  As someone who moved to America from China, Qing Ji has a unique perspective on two of the more well-known cultures in the world. Perhaps identifying and accepting the little differences between cultures can help us become more tolerant of foreigners and understand their country's policies.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

55 minutes agoMichelle Dahger
Hello Mr. Di Lalla,
I know this seems insanely creepy, but my name is Michelle. I dont actually have a facebook, but since it only takes about 3 minutes total to make one I did, so I could contact you. I had read your blog (on blogspot.com) awhile back and saw your rhetorical analysis of JFK's inaugural address. I read it several times because I was writing a paper on it myself, and was trying to get some ideas to kick off my brain storming. That was about a month ago, and I just got my paper back. I accidentally forgot to cite a source about some information on JFK (about him being the youngest president and another thing about the cold war) and my teacher gave me my paper back to re-cite it. However, now he does not think the rest of it is my original idea. I looked back to sites I had read (specifically yours) and realized I had made a classic mistake of reading something and later typing it and they sound extremely similar. My teacher is a serious stickler when it comes to having completely original ideas. I am a senior, and am almost done with my college applications, and am sure if he finds your blog, he will absolutely report me, even though I didn't directly use your wording, but your arguments. On your blog site I left a post on your very first blog hoping you would see it, but then saw on the google search your facebook. I know we are strangers and most likely live very far away from each other, but do you think you could help a stranger out and just take off your JFK inaugural address rhetorical analysis off your blog, maybe for just the next week or so, so that my teacher doesn't find it? I'm re-handing in my paper on Monday. I know it sounds crazy, but do you think you could have the heart to just help someone not have a black mark on their record? I didn't copy and paste, or word for word use it, but I did use your arguments and I am so sorry if this offends you. My comment on your blog is much shorter and more frantic, by the way.
If you do this, you will be my savior, so thank you.
Michelle
(michelledahger1234@aol.com)
p.s. this nervousness is completely not worth it. I dont care if the next paper I do I get an F on because I couldn't think of anything, I'm never using someones ideas again.
p.p.s. your rhetorical analysis on JFK's inaugural address is very good, I was really impressed. Oh, and the arguments that I used were the second, and part of the third paragraph on your blog post.

Anonymous said...

i thought i had found you on facebook but i realized there are more than one nick dillalas in the world so thats what i had sent you